[Techtalk] Techtalk digest - Learning Perl

Malke Routh malke at attbi.com
Mon Sep 9 06:37:14 EST 2002

Raquel, Chris and Poppy - thanks so much.  From everything I've read,
Programming Perl is going to be too advanced.  However, The Perl
Cookbook is on my list, as is Beginning Perl by Simon Cozens and
Elements of Programming Perl by Andrew L. Johnson.  I also found some
great resources at learn.perl.org and have subscribed to a beginner's
newsgroup (nntp.perl.org).  As a Usenet junkie, I have lurking down to a
fine art and I'm always careful with that first post.

Truthfully, I didn't decide to learn Perl because I need to do something
in particular.  I've wanted to learn Perl for a number of years.  I
actually expect that as I learn Perl, I'll get ideas for things to do in
it.  For instance, I downloaded Tom Braun's Tolkien date perlmod because
it sounded like fun and I love Tolkien.  Of course, I have _no_idea what
to do with it now, but I hope to have an "aha" soon.  And I know I'll
discover all sorts of serious stuff I can do with Perl and my system.

Thanks again for all the help.  Can't tell you how much LinuxChix means
to me.

Cheers,

Malke
--