[Techtalk] Kernel compilation problem

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Fri Sep 6 11:09:43 EST 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 j.van.barneveld at hccnet.nl wrote:

[build kernel] then...
> This all works. The bzImage file is found in
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage

That's normal.

> I made a backup of /usr/src/linux to /usr/src/linuxold and put the
> new kernel in /usr/src/linux

Oops! There's the problem. Note what you add to Grub:

> Then I modified Grub and added:
 [snip]
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19
 [snip]

The meaning of that phrase is quite literal: the kernel image (bzImage)
should be in the directory /boot. Which means when you copied the kernel
(see above) it should have worked something like this:
  cd /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/
  cp bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19
...and that should solve it.
	(To summarize: Grub is saying "look for a kernel in /boot named
vmlinuz-2.4.19" but you also have to actually put that kernel image there,
under that name. Because I'm lazy, I often name my kernels "bzImage" which
works just fine...)

In other news, I have built hundreds of kernels without copying either
the system map or the initrd over; this may be a serious blunder of sorts
(though it's my understanding the system map is only useful for debugging;
maybe I'm wrong) and I just use the resident initrd (the one that was
there all along) which works fine.