[Techtalk] Kernel compilation problem

j.van.barneveld at hccnet.nl j.van.barneveld at hccnet.nl
Fri Sep 6 10:25:49 EST 2002

Hi there,

I am using Red Hat 7.2 (build 2.4.7-10) and tried to compile my kernel with build 2.4.19. I ran the following procedure as SU:
1. make xconfig
2. make dep
3. make clean
4. make modules
5. make modules_install
6. make bzImage

This all works. The bzImage file is found in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage

I made a backup of /usr/src/linux to /usr/src/linuxold and put the new kernel in /usr/src/linux

Then I modified Grub and added:

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.19.img)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19 ro root=/dev/hdc5 hda=ide-scsi
initrd/boot/initrd-2.4.19.img

after reboot and selecting Red Hat Linux (2.4.19.img) in the Grubmenu I get an error:

error 15: file not found

Grub cannot find the image file. Where can I find this file (it is not in /boot/) or anywhere else on my hd, or what dit I do wrong?

thanks,

Job