[Techtalk] Strange SSH Behavior

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Tue Sep 3 09:32:05 EST 2002

Very puzzling. Here's the deal:
	I have two boxen running Debian Woody (stable release). Same
setup. The first is a ho-hum desktop, the other a Sony Vaio SR33, which
uses pcmcia for networking.
	All ssh functions work fine on the desktop, but sshd is very weird
on the vaio (sung to the CCR tune. The client, by the way, works fine).
	The startup script in /etc/init.d runs without complaint, but at
the end, there's no sshd running. If I su root and simply start sshd, the
exit status is 0, but sshd won't run. If I try exec sshd, all manner of
weirdness happens that may be irrelevant. But the kicker is, if I run in
debug mode (sshd -d[n]) everything works great! I can log in from another
machine, run a session, and log out. However: when I log out, the session
dies and releases the prompt back to the terminal.
	Does this say anything useful to anyone? I'm pretty stumped.