[Techtalk] Best bug-tracker?

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Sep 2 18:11:27 EST 2002

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 12:13:13PM -0400 or thereabouts, Michelle Murrain wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm ready to implement an "industrial strength" bug tracking system
> for an open-source project. I have these prerequisites:

Oddly enough, I _just_ found this URL whilst poking around the
Bugzilla FAQ:

    Call Center, Bug Tracking and Project Management Tools for Linux
    http://linas.org/linux/pm.html

> 1) Can use PostgreSQL as the database back end
> 2) Is robust enough to keep track of 12 different applications that
> are part of the project
> 3) Multiple users and admins
> 4) has an easy way for casual users of the project to add bugs (in
> other words, they don't have to be a user or admin, and they don't
> have to understand the intracacies of either the project itself, or
> the bug tracking system to add a bug.
> 5) Robust email notification of bugs assigned to users. Reminders of
> issues outstanding.
> 6) Won't take me forever to install and configure

Offhand, the trackers I know of which are in reasonably heavy use
are Bugzilla, debbugs, sourceforge's thing, jitterbug and GNATS.
The ones I know most about are Bugzilla and debbugs. One of the
KDE lists in a recent thread were discussing one I hadn't heard
of before, but the consensus seemed to be that it was as yet not
good at handling multiple projects.

I'm not sure any of them have _all_ of what you want.

:)

Telsa