[Techtalk] ssl port 443

Mike Clark nuts at coconutisland.com
Thu Oct 24 13:57:10 EST 2002

I can't start apache, getting the error message

apachectl start
Unable to open logs

I am running debian kernel 2.2.19, with apache 1.3.9 working fine on port 80

I want to install apache ssl.

Ran the following command

apt-get install apache-ssl

and got the following errors

Err http://security.debian.org potato/updates/main apache-ssl 1.3.9.13-3
  404 Not Found
Failed to fetch
http://security.debian.org/dists/potato/updates/main/binary-i386/apache-ssl_
1.3.9.13-3_i386.deb
  404 Not Found
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe try with --fix-missing?

--fix-missing didn't work

Then I went to apache.org and grabbed httpd-2.0.43.tar.gz

Ran configure, make & make install, put it in /usr/local/apachessl

copied the ssl.conf file to httpd.conf, it is configured to listen on port
443

When I run /usr/local/apachectl/apachectl start

this is when I get the error message

Unable to open logs

IIt happens both when the primary apache is running on port 80 and when it
is stopped.

How do I check to make sure that port 443 is enabled?  It may have been
disabled previously by somebody for firewall/security reasons, since we were
not running ssl on this machine.

Thanks

Mike Clark
nuts at coconutisland.com