[Techtalk] Quirks of RH8 (was: Re: RH8--no gcc??)

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Tue Oct 22 16:38:23 EST 2002

Telsa Gwynne said:
>> > Those instructions hold good for all the other rpm-using distros
>> around currently, as far as I know. RH 8.0 users, though, you  want
>> rpmbuild. (in a package called rpm-build, just to confuse).
>>
>> "rpm-build" is the "build" subpackage of rpm. "rpmbuild" is one
>> character less to type ;-). If we had an "rpm-build" command people
>> would complain about their bleeding fingers and "rpmbuild" would be a
>> much too ugly package name for us (ugly package names are SuSE's turf,
>> we don't want to be caught there ;-) (sorry couldn't resist (shame on
>> me))).
>
> Whereas, looking at rpm -qa | grep rpm, the package rpm404-python
> has a name that's not ugly at all :)

*wildly guessing* Given that SuSE likely would have named it something
like rpm404py, yes ;-). Trying to fit package names in 8+3 is a bit too
baroque for my taste. I'll have to ask my SuSE-colleague here in the Lab
about that whether they'll stick to this, though.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
   nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de / nils at lisas.de