[Techtalk] Mandrake/Linux newbie deep in confusion about apache/advx

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Tue Oct 22 14:48:15 EST 2002

You may have two Apache installations. Many Linux distributions come with
Apache already installed. I know this sounds silly, but did you verify that
Apache was not installed before installing it? If you have two
installations, you might want to uninstall one of them.

But beyond the question of where it came from, it's obvious that Apache is
using an httpd.conf file other than the one you intended. Though it sounds
like accepting defeat, I recommend just "going with the flow" and using the
file Apache uses. This is because you're new to Linux, but on the other
hand I wouldn't have recommended building Apache yourself, so maybe you're
up to reconfiguring.

You can make both files the "same" file (i.e., one is a pointer to the
other) using the magic of the symbolic link:
   mv /your/httpd.conf /your/httpd.conf.bak
   ln -s /etc/httpd/conf /your/httpd.conf
   diff /etc/httpd/conf /your/httpd.conf    [no output => same file]

You can also do this with directories:
   mv /home/httpd/html /home/httpd/html.bak
   ln -s /usr/local/apache/htdocs /home/httpd/html

Perhaps the reason slocate didn't come up with anything is that it depends
on a database that is refreshed at certain intervals. The tool "find" is
never out of sync with the filesystem, but it's not very appropriate for
this use because it's intended for localized searches. Try this:
   find /home/httpd/html -name '".html"
(Don't forget the quotes around "*.html".) This searches your server root
for HTML files. You could do this:
   find / -name "whatever"
but that would take a long time.

By the way, your complaint about reference materials is a common one. I
certainly had trouble learning Linux, but now I find it easier to use.
Linux isn't very intuitive because it's made to be fast when you're
familiar with it. By contrast, DOS is made to have a quick learning curve,
but to an experienced user DOS is clumbsy and weak compared to Linux.

========== Dan Richter ============== mailto:Dan at wimba.com ===========
    Many hacker groups, in anonymous interviews with Mi2g, have
    said that they prefer attacking Linux systems and very rarely
    target anything running Windows, simply because to do so is
    far too easy...
      - Jan Andresen, computer security expert at Mi2g
        (a computer security consulting firm)