[Techtalk] No start-2

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Mon Oct 21 15:51:32 EST 2002

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 10:21:13PM -0400 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Andrew thought:
> least till I get my files off hda6.
>     How can I access  hda which was formerly the boot drive. I am now
> using hdc after moving cables around. Hda has all the info and a few
> downloads I want to save,  and is on the primary , while hdc is secondary

Assuming your / fs is /dev/hdc(something)...

mkdir /dev/olddisk
mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/olddisk	# kernel should recognise fs type.  Else
mount -t ext2 /dev/hda6 /mnt/olddisk
cp -a /mnt/olddisk/path/to/files /home/andrew/path/to/new/location
umount /mnt/olddisk

>     One of these day I need to learn to up grade in a less painfull
> manor.  (-:

Have a read of the "Hard-Disk-Upgrade-mini-HOWTO".  it's pretty
comprehensive and includes info on how to put the boot loader on the new
disk before it becomes the primary disk.

>     Can't learn if your afraid to screw up

But you can sure screw up if you don't learn!

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)