[Techtalk] Quirks of RH8 (was: Re: RH8--no gcc??)

lain iwakura eva_00 at juno.com
Sun Oct 20 01:53:15 EST 2002

Mandi, Carla et al...
Thanks a bunch for helping--because of your comments I figured out what
went wrong during installation.  I just want to post this in case there
are other newbies like me who 'kinda' need the development tools and who
also uses RH.

In RH 8 they actually added one more option to the list of 'types of
installation'.  Options include a web server, a database server,
workstation...etc.  The option that got me in trouble was the Personal
Desktop.  If you ever, EVER, need to use any gnu compilers, DON'T install
the Personal Desktop mode (or choose custom install, sugg. by Carla).
Installing Workstation mode did the trick.  Frankly I find that a bit
strange...I suppose RH is assuming that most people who install in
Personal Desktop are not into development and therefore are just going to
use .rpms to install most programs.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but aren't there programs out there that is not
available in .rpm form?  What would be the procedure for users to do if
they needed GNU but can't just reformat (like I did) and start all over?
I went to the GNU website and found that gcc only provides source code,
no rpms...how can the user compile the source code to get the compiler
when he has no compiler?  I tried 'up2date gcc' initially before I
reinstalled everything but the only thing they found that needed updating
was my kernel and programs other than gcc.

But at any rate, i now have gcc thanks to you...:) Cheers,

--lain