[Techtalk] Keyboards & No-Start

Carlo Hamalainen ch at uqconnect.net
Sun Oct 20 10:37:07 EST 2002

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Andrew wrote:
>     It would be nice to hear a few more comments on keyboards. What I
> like is a soft touch and large return key. Anyone else have a "bent'
> keyboard or tried one?  The Mac one I like has rubber domes under the
> keys, it has a crisp short throw, light feel.

I used to have one of those split/bent MS keyboards, but I found that the
actual quality of the keys wasn't so great - you had to hit the keys
perfectly downwards, where as I tend to 'stab' at them at an angle.

I have discovered that having my keyboard flat (as opposed to raised on
the little prongs near the front) is MUCH more comfortable. Makes my hands
go into a posture that is quite similar to playing the piano (imaging
holding a small ball, and resting the hands over the keyboard).

This has eliminated my annoying tendency to twist my hand while trying to
do alt-x or ctrl-x key combinations. It also seems to encourage me to use
more of my fingers instead of the 3 or so on each hand that do 99% of the
work.

-- Carlo