[Techtalk] Is Linux 2.4.18 Really That Unstable?

Julie txjulie at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 16 09:40:40 EST 2002

Katie Bechtold wrote:

> A couple of months ago one of my local LUG members recounted a very
> bad experience with using a 2.4.18 kernel on a laptop equipped with
> external Firewire 80 GB Maxtor Firewire disks with the new ext3
> journaling file system.  If you're using Firewire, it sounds like
> that combination may be the problem.

It's starting to sound more like ext3.  Which is really a bummer
because I like the journalling.  It was taking forever to run
fsck on 240GB back when I was running ext2 ...

I'm very sure it's not the memory -- the problems started as soon
as I loaded 2.4.18 and would go away when I switched back to 2.4.2-2.
Then I loaded 2.4.19 to get ATA133 support, and it was even worse
(perhaps because I was up to 300GB ;-), so I switched back to 2.4.18.
I don't want to give up ext3 if I don't have to ;-(
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
txjulie at austin.rr.com                  or nothing at all.