[Techtalk] Re: [prog] How, Apache web server listening at other port # other then 80

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Mon Oct 7 15:47:03 EST 2002

I've taken the liberty of moving this thread over to techtalk, since
it's not a programming question.

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 09:42:27AM -0700, Abel Pires da Silva wrote:
> I'm testing my "server socket program" and I need to
> run it at port 80...
> The problem is port 80 already used by Apache web
> server.
> I tried to *move* apache from that port, by changing
> the file httpd.conf at line port 80 to port 8000, then
> restart apache..
> But when try it using telnet, apache is still running
> at the port 80....

I've got two different guesses at what might be happening.

1. Apache's documentation demonstrates different directives under
which the server can be bound to a port.  (See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/bind.html)  Could you please humor
us and tell us what you get from doing a 'grep 80 httpd.conf'?

2. Maybe you've got Apache installed in two different places and
accidentally modified the httpd.conf for the one that you're not
running?  In that case the output of 'locate httpd.conf' would be
enlightening.

--
Katie Bechtold
http://katie-and-rob.org/