[Techtalk] 3d acceleration in X

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Oct 3 21:33:54 EST 2002

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 09:12:35AM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Carla Schroder thought:
> Look, all I want to do is play Tux racer, OK? Is that too much to ask? Can
> anyone point me to a doc that tells how to enable 3d acceleration in Xfree?
> I've been all over xfree.org, and I think DRI is what I want, but hey, who
> knows? I just want to play Tux Racer. I'm running Red Hat 7.2 and 8.0. Voodoo
> 3 card and Nvidia TNT2.

Running RH72 and TNT2 here...  It goes something like this:

Download two RPMs from the nvidia site:
NVIDIA_GLX.....rpm
NVIDIA_kernel....rpm	# You _must_ use the correct rpm for your kernel
			# nvidia supply drivers compiled against most
			# distros stock kernels.  If you have a custom
			# kernel, you'll need to get the
NVIDIA_kernel....src.rpm

download the README.txt and view.html (view.html is the actual page that
you do the downloading from).

Judging by your tone, you'll want the "Instructions for the impatient" to
be found in the README.txt :-)  It boils down to

rpm -ivh NVIDIA_kernel NVIDIA_GLX

followed by a quick edit of /etc/X11/XF86config-4

If you already have an XF86Config file working with a different driver
(such as the 'nv' or 'vesa' driver), then all you need to do is find
the relevant Device section and replace the line:

        Driver "nv"
    (or Driver "vesa")

with

        Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

        Load   "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

        Load  "dri"
        Load  "GLcore"

if they exist.  There are also numerous options that can be added to
the XF86Config file to fine-tune the NVIDIA XFree86 driver.  Please see
Appendix D for a complete list of these options.

I had to play a few of the games listed in the README to get running,
particularly the "permissions are too restrictive" error, but I'm now
happily enjoying "Who said penguins can't fly?"

I've no idea if the Voodoo card is an nvidia chip but if so, same
applies...

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)