[Techtalk] backup suggestions needed

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Thu Nov 21 23:44:11 EST 2002

At 9:34 PM +0000 11/21/02, Jen B wrote:
>I have one DLT drive, and 2 db servers that require backup.
>There is not enough diskspace on either to make a local copy of all the
>files that require backup (which i would then backup with a single 'dump'
>if life were easy)
>
>Can anyone suggest the  best way to do this? I've been searching for
>the better part of today for a way to rsync to a tape drive-but no luck.
>I would very,very much like to avoid using .rhosts,nfs, or any remote
>mounting even on a private net-but so far that seems like the way to go.

I just set up, thanks to Dancer, a 3 server backup system - I have a
SCSI DAT attached to one machine, and use tar and dd to back up
others.

The important part of the script to copy the remote directories looks like:

ssh root at host "tar cplf - /etc /home /usr/local" | dd of=/dev/tape

Obviously you need to set up the host as authorized.

I'll be quite happy to send you the entire script, if you want. It's
quite good, and works quite well (thanks Dancer!)
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Technology Consulting
tech at murrain.net     http://www.murrain.net
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575

"A vocation is where the world's hunger & your great gladness meet."
Frederick Buechner