[Techtalk] Networking options

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Mon Nov 18 01:59:24 EST 2002

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Conor Daly wrote:

> Am I missing something here?  I would have thought that UTP (that's
> *unshielded*) cable running over the roof would be just *asking* for a
> lightening strike!

If you have a strike to your house, you're screwed anyway, the lightning
has just travelled how many hundreds of yards through the air to reach
your house, i don't think anything is about to stop it.  At that kind of
voltage, even wood conducts (albeit for a very short time, until it
undergoes massive heating and explosive expansion).

A nearby strike would create problems with induced voltages, however no
matter what you do it will be induced in the mains supply wiring and water
system in the house anyway, and at this point you're going to be picking
bits of home appliances out of the walls anyway.

Not that this has anything to do with getting cables from one point to
another ...

I think what's required is a little imagination

Maria