[Techtalk] EXT2-fs error?

Therese Gustafsson th_gustafsson at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 14 12:53:49 EST 2002

--- Nils Philippsen
<nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de> wrote:
>This looks like a corrupt filesystem or hardware.
>
> > Nov 14 18:52:47 tgudv97 kernel: EXT2-fs error
> (device
> > ide0(3,1)): ext2_check_page: bad entry in
> directory
> > 86: unaligned directory entry - offset=0,
> > inode=1634232618, rec_len=25710, name_len=108
>
> ... some directory contains (at least partially)
> garbage.
>
> > Nov 14 18:52:47 tgudv97 kernel: Remounting
> filesystem
> > read-only
>
> That's a safety measure the kernel's taken to
> prevent further confusion
> on the FS.
>
> I would backup the partition (still mounted
> read-only) and then run the
> filesystem check on it.

Thanks for your advice. I ran a filesystem check and
it found lots and lots of error. I had to run the
check about 4 times before it said that there was no
more errors. And now I have som stuff in /lost+found
that I don't know what to do with. But I haven't found
anything that's not working so for the moment
everything seems ok. Thanks again.

/Th