[Techtalk] Cups Web administration acting weird...

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Sat Nov 9 13:39:36 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 16:51, E. Sterling Wall wrote:
> I have a problem with this one server where the Cups Web administration
> doesn't work, and I don't know WHY. It's driving me batty.
>
> If I got to server.domain:631 I can see all the menu pages and things,
> but when I click "start printer" it says I'm not authorized. Normally,
> and on all other servers I have running, clicking "start server" brings
> up a dialog to put in login and password at that point. Only this one
> server doesn't ask for a login and locks me out without any option.
>
> So, that doesn't work and I try a different route...  Webmin, right? I
> get to the printer management stuff on Webmin, click "start printer" and
> Webmin claims that the printer is now started, but guess what? It isn't.
> It still won't print and a quick poke into a console window to see lpq
> shows that the printer is stopped. WHY??!!!  Grrrr...
>
> Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks...

Is the printer attached to/the queue on another CUPS server? In that
case the CUPS server you try to change something on has no authority
over the print queue because it's on another server. Maybe you can grant
the needed rights to the server you're working on but I don't know how
(or even if) this is possible.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg //
+49.7152.209647