[Techtalk] [Fwd: problems unmounting nfs on shutdown]

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Fri Nov 8 11:44:46 EST 2002

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:52:16AM +0000 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
/dev/null thought:

> hi all
>
> have just replaced my laptop HD with a nice 20Gb disk... and of course
> had to back up and reinstall everything...
> i installed a lot more stuff including some servers because i've got the
> room and its useful for me to sit reading my marcel gagne sysadmin book
> and practise on the laptop of an evening...
> but i've got problems it seems unmounting and shutting down NFS, SMB and
> NMB... im getting this error on shutdown, and then the machine gets
> stuck.... does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? i've
> been playing around with removing things from sysvinit but have had no
> luck so far...
>
> the weirdest thing is i havent connected to the network at all yet..
> this is the error message:
>
> Unmounting NFS filesystems: Cannot MOUNTPROG RPC: RPC: Port mapper
> failure - RPC: Unable to send
> umount 2: Device or resource busy
> umount: /net: device is busy 				[FAILED]
>
> unmounting SMB services 				 [FAILED]
> unmounting NMB services					[FAILED]

have a look in /etc/mtab (where actually _mounted_ stuff is recorded).  If
there are entries there, the kernel will attempt to umount them.

Conor.

PS. apologies for the terseness of the post.  Still getting used to the
new dvorak keyboard and trying to spell everything right!

Domestic Sysadmin :-)