[Techtalk] env LANG=C

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Sat Nov 2 14:51:16 EST 2002

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 08:31:43AM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> Okay, as usual my LUG list is less that helpful, therefore I must turn to my
> fellow Linuxchix. (why don't I just come here first? well, OK, I will!)
>
> When using the command env LANG=C to run a program, for example
>
> env LANG=C gnumeric
>
> is it correct to say, this sets the locale for gnumeric as defined within
> gnumeric's own code? In order to override the system locale? That C = the
> default as coded in the app itself?

Essentially correct, although I had to read that a few times to
understand what I think you are saying. It may be clearer to say that
'LANG=C' sets the locale for gnumeric to the C locale. The 'C' locale is
defined as the "default" locale for applications, meaning that their
strings are displayed as written in the initial code (without passing
through a translation lookup).

There is nothing special about the C locale, except that it will always
exist and applies no string replacements.

[...]
> I can firmly and confidently state that env is a bash command. By dang, got
> that much.

[Aside: Umm .. no. :-)  The 'env' command is a standalone binary that is
part of GNU's sh-utils distribution. However, if you left out the 'env'
part of your command above and just executed 'LANG=C gnumeric', then the
'LANG=C' portion would be exececuted by bash -- in a similar fashion to
what env does. But I'm just nit-picking, so ignore this part.]

Cheers,
Malcolm

> --

No one is listening until you make a mistake.