[Techtalk] some gcc questions

kath kath at skatha.net
Fri May 31 06:32:10 EST 2002

On Friday 31 May 2002 03:05 am, Carla Schroder wrote:
> 1. Does gcc support any 64-bit platforms?
> 2. Does it really matter that 2.96 is the "evil" Red Hat edition? any
> reason to avoid it?
> 3. Is it best to go with the latest version?
> 4. Just because you can have several different versions installed, should
> you? 5. Which version has the best C++ support?
>
> I've been reading books and info pages until my eyeballs bleed.  I'm
> figuring it out.... or I believe I am, which is just as good.  ;-)

Hi Carla,

My workplace is committed to RedHat for the sake of consistency and
application support, and the info at these sites helped me sort out (2) and
(5) for my personal use:

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html
http://www.bero.org/gcc296.html

As for (4) the reason I started using gcc 3.0x is that I ran across some
library (cln? boost? something else?) that objected to whatever 2.96.x I had
at the time.  I do believe it was because of problems such as are mentioned
in the 2nd URL above.

Empathizing with bleeding eyes,
Kathy Gerber