[Techtalk] Installing linux without an ISO

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Tue May 28 21:04:35 EST 2002

Kai, after mentioning 7 floppies, asked how I do a net install...

Been a while since I used floppies, that's for sure. I think "slink" was
the last time. Seven? Woo. I can't remember how many I used getting the
zenith laptop going, but it seems like it was two or something. The entire
install right now is at 54mb I think.
	I suppose I'd back up a rev or two, maybe potato or something. How
many floppies for that?
	Once you have any network going, you can just set the apt-sources
to point to woody, do an apt-get install apt, then apt-get update and
apt-get -f dist-upgrade. Then pump in whatever you want, of course.
	My absolute favorite way to do this is to start with Newton
(Progeny) for the initial install, since that gets you a really nice
XF86config you can keep, then do the woody thing from there. In fact, I
just did that a week or so ago to get sid going on one of my boxes.
	I'm clearly out of date on the floppy thang, though.