[Techtalk] Installing linux without an ISO

James james at james-web.net
Tue May 28 22:01:29 EST 2002

I used to do it in 5 floppies...

Rescue, root, and drivers1,2,3.

Boot rescue, then go to root, then go through the installer, install
your drivers for your NIC then let debian get the base targz via
http://.

Nowadays I just burned an ISO, because I got so tired of defective
floppies (I also bought a CD burner, which aided the whole ISO
thing...).  I remember one time using 1 floppy to do a Debian install...
By swapping it and putting a new image on it with rawrite2 every time it
needed a new diskette.

- James

otnet.img ),
and knowledge of a site and path to download the rest of the media from.

Since I could only find about two floppies in the house that I trusted,
went with Red Hat. (This was a couple of years ago, and I no longer like

Red Hat. Now my first preference is Slackware, and then Debian. But
that's
assuming I have CDs to install from.)

You've got me curious -- how do you do a Debian net install?

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"I hear the roar of a big machine,
  Two worlds and in between;
  Hot metal and methedrine.