re,Re: [Techtalk] Password Incorrect

ellie ellie at mn.rr.com
Tue May 28 18:17:07 EST 2002

Greetings, Andrew.  I agree with Walter about the versions of Netatalk.  I have tried up to netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk.i586.rpm and have had good luck with especially that one.  The shares always showed up as available drives in the Chooser beginning with that version, but their visibility did not guarantee successful authentication with the older Mac OS's.  When authentication became a problem, it did become a Mac problem on the client machine.

If you open the Chooser of a Mac (even if you can't see the share in the upper right hand pane when AppleShare is highlighted in the opposite pane) you are still able to access the drive.  The computer that you are trying to access this way will have to have it's own static IP because you will be accessing it by IP.  When the chooser is open on all Mac OS's 8.0 or higher and when AppleShare is highlighted, you will see a button that says Access Server by IP (or something of the sort) just below the upper right hand pane.  When you click that button, you are presented with a field where you can key in the IP of the machine running netatalk.  Then you can put in the user ID and password, which should work where it didn't work before (when you highlighted the name of the drive in the Chooser).  Once the drive is mounted, you can highlight it and use the key command Apple + M to make an alias; this alias will reflect the user ID, so that if it is put in the Mac's startup items folder or if it is left on the desktop, it will keep the user ID filled in when it is opened.  I have many machines in my building that use AFP-over-TCP/IP where they are unable to actually get them the usual way in the Chooser.  Anyway, this is how I have managed this problem.  Hopefully these directions were complete, accurate, and specific to your problem.

Sincerely,
Ellie