[Techtalk] NIC+Kernel

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue May 28 22:22:36 EST 2002

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 10:40:30PM -0400 or thereabouts, kansas_kennedy @ phreaker. net wrote:
> Well, I am here to hack my kernel to get my NIC detected in RHL 7.2 (2.4.7).
> The problem is I can't find the - #/usr/src/menuconfig & there's nothing
> called /usr/src/linux-2.4.X...the other commands are also not being taken...

You will need to install the kernel-source package as well as the
kernel package. It will be on the RH CD(s) but it will not have
been installed by default. Or you can grab a kernel tarball from
ftp.(mirror.)kernel.org. Go for a 2.4.x one, not a 2.5.x :)

> Can anyone suggest me what should I do to hack my kernel for this particular
> matter?

I will presume the following paragraph is right. I haven't a clue,
myself:

>     If your Linux kernel is any new version above than 2.4.5
>  (included) and it is a new installation, you can configure the
>  kernel by following console commands to enable the driver for
>  SURECOM EP-320X-S/S-1 100/10M Ethernet PCI Adapter.
>
>            #/usr/src/menuconfig
>
>        Enable the option of "Myson MTD-8XX PCI Ethernet support"
>  in "Ethernet (10 or 100 M bit)" of "Network device support" as a
>  loadable module or system default module.

But as to this:

>            #make dep
>            #make clean
>            #make bzImage
>            #cp /usr/src/linux-2.4.X/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot

There is a much cleaner way which will spit out rpms which will
install on RH. It's in the kernel Makefile even if you get the
kernel as a tarball.

"make menuconfig"; forget all the rest after that (make dep, clean,
blah blah -- that can all go); "make rpm"

This gives you an rpm you can install. *Do* use rpm --install and
*not* rpm --upgrade. The kernel rpms will install next to each other,
unlike many others, and if your new one is no good, you can just
the old working one.

>        Then, edit /etc/lilo.conf, run "/sbin/lilo", and then reboot
>  your Linux system. After new kernel has been rebooted, it will
>  automatically load the driver for this adapter.

This advice is a little out of date. If you have a new installation
of RH 7.2 (as opposed to an upgrade from something else), you will
not have lilo as your bootloader and thus editing /etc/lilo.conf
is not what you need to do. You will have grub as your bootloader,
and I don't know how to add new kernels in that. Someone else here
is bound to, though :)

Telsa