[Techtalk] running multiple concurrent sessions

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Tue May 28 13:49:22 EST 2002

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Carla Schroder wrote:

> I've been playing with running multiple concurrent sessions on one machine.
> It is easy and fun, at least in console mode. (RH 7.2) I can open six,
> Alt+F1- F6, any combination of users I want. but when I try to open an x
> session it crashes as soon as I switch away.
>
> For example, at Alt+F6 I'll fire up KDE. Works fine until I switch to one of
> the others, for example Ctrl+Alt+F1. when I come back it is crashed. Same for
> Gnome and XFCE. Should be plenty of hardware resources, Duron 800/256 RAM.

Okay.  your first X mode console will appear on CTRL-ALT-F7.

If you want more, try X :1  and play with that.  It'll start a new X
console on CTRL-ALT-F8.  you should be able to use the startx command:

startx -- :1

to do it too.

F8-F12 can be assigned, starting at :0.

Hope that's what you're looking for.