[Techtalk] emacs for binary editing (was copy file headers...)

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Tue May 21 19:50:33 EST 2002

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 10:08:03AM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Akkana thought:

> I needed to chop off some dead space at the end of a sound file a while
> back, and after failing to find a sound editing app, I used xemacs and
> it worked. :-)  (A few weeks later I found out about Wave Surfer, a
> nifty little sound editor that works fine.)

I found "MXV" very helpful when I was  cleaning up an old tape recording
prior to burning to CD.  I was able to crop dead space, split tracks and
even take out a chunk (the tape had been twisted there and the sound level
was wayy down), filter and boost it and then paste it back in.  The menus
appear to have the audio version of GIMP's capabilities though I used
practically none of them myself...  No mention of a website in the
(sparse) documentation but a search for "MXV" or "MiXViews" should yeild
something.  Otherwise, the author is contactable at
<the title above>@create.ucsb.edu

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)