[Techtalk] copy file headers...

Walt pippin at freeshell.org
Fri May 17 11:04:25 EST 2002

Jenn V. wrote:

>On Fri, 2002-05-17 at 23:31, Walt wrote:
> > Is there any way to copy _x_ number of lines
> > from the header of one file over the header of
> > another file?
>
>I'm assuming that you know piping and sequencing enough to construct a
>script or a command once I give you a pointer.
>
>1. Use 'head' to grab x lines from file 1.
>2. Use 'tail' to grab from line x to end of file 2.
>3. Use 'cat' or '>>' or some such to prepend the results of step 1 to
>the results of step 2.

I see what you're saying! I was using head
to view the first few lines, but thanks for
expanding my mind a little there. I think
that will do what I want. Now if only that
fixes the problem!

Thanks!
Walt

-~

     The individual is the true reality of life.  A cosmos within
     himself, he does not exist for the state, nor for that
     abstraction called society, or the nation, which is only
     a collection of individuals.
                         Emma Goldman