[Techtalk] copy paste question

James jas at spamcop.net
Thu May 9 17:20:40 EST 2002

On Fri, 10 May 2002, Mary wrote:

> On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 09:27:20AM -0400, Mary E. Mulderrig wrote:
> > Excuse the question if it seems trivial. Well here goes; I used to be
> > able to select text in any app using my left mouse botton and then
> > paste it into any other app/ term window by pressing both left and
> > right buttons at the same time. I recently started using Red Hat 7.1
> > and I can no longer perform this time saving trick :-(
>
> Which distro/version were you using before?
>
> A trivial suggestion, hopefully others will have better:
>
> Do you have a middle mouse button? If so, you can probalby paste with
> that...

This sounds to me as if the "EmulateMiddleButton" feature was enabled to
begin with (left+right together is turned into a middle click, for owners
of 2-button mice), and has now been disabled. The feature lives somewhere
in the XFree86 config file.

In my file, /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, I have a section containing this line:

Option "Emulate3Buttons" "No"

in the section relating to mice. (An "InputDevice" section, bearing the
identified "Mouse0".) Changing this to "Yes" and restarting X should
restore the old behaviour?

James.