[Techtalk] Soundcard not cooperating.

Laurel Fan laurel at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu May 9 00:12:44 EST 2002

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 07:24:55PM -0700, Conni wrote:
> Out of curiosity,  I tried this.  It chowned to root, so I restarted X,
> and it still didn't give me the process.  So I chowned it to me.  Still,
> esd not working right.  It changed permissions, though, to crw-r--r--.
> Could this be a permissions issue?  Or, worse, could the sound card itself
> have come unseated from the board?  (which doesn't make much sense, when
> cat file /dev/audio makes noise, does it?)

I don't think it's a permissions issue.  Being able to cause it to
make noise using cat implies that the system is giving you access to
it.  It also implies that everything's hooked up right hardware-wise
and kernel-wise.

Another wild guess.. you mentioned that you've trying to get apm
working.  Could that be confusing it?  Does rebooting with all the apm
stuff disabled help anything?

laurel at sdf.lonestar.org
http://dreadnought.gorgorg.org