[Techtalk] AWC/PS May 2002 Event: The Need for Agility

Lynn Kuhlman lynn at eskimo.com
Mon May 6 19:33:04 EST 2002

Association for Women in Computing announces our May 2002 Event:

The Need For Agility:  Strategies for Balancing Up-front Project
Analysis & Design With the Need To Get Feedback.

Perhaps you've heard the phrase paralysis by analysis, where all too
often project staff spend too much time on analysis and design.  On the
contrary, they might spend too little time on the initial planning and
instead leap right in to the coding.

On one hand, there is great value in getting complete requirements and
doing up-front design.  Conversely, we know the requirements are going
to change.  Furthermore, the more work we do up-front, the longer it
takes until we can get feedback about what we've done.  Both feedback
from the customer and feedback on the technical approach we've taken,
are extremely important. Delays in getting this information dooms many
projects.   This seminar will review these issues and explore how light
methodologies can be more useful in short development cycles.

Topics to be discussed include:

- the impact of changing requirements
- fulfilling staff roles properly importance of feedback in the
  development cycle
- how to do design in a changing word (Commonality/Variability
  analysis)

Learn about:

- the importance of up-front testing
- how much is enough in analysis
- why developing in short intervals is important
- the proper role of the customer
- the proper role of the developer
- the proper role of the business manager
- why too much analysis and design can be counter productive
- where to continue your investigation of these issues

Who should attend:  This seminar is intended for technical managers,
project managers, team leads and developers who want to know how to get
a grip on their software projects.

About the Speaker:

Alan is the founder of and a senior consultant with Net Objectives.
Since 1981, he has been both an OO consultant and developer of software
in several industries. His clients includes both Fortune 500 and small
companies. In addition to consulting and mentoring, Alan teaches design
patterns, Java, C++, and agile software development methodologies
including XP and a light-weight version of RUP. He also gives tutorials
at several conferences world-wide each year. His and James Trotts
book: Design Patterns Explained:  A New Perspective on Object-Oriented
Design, has been very highly rated
(http://www.netobjectives.com/dpexplained/dpe_book.htm).   Alan has a
Masters in Computer Science from MIT.

-------------------------

Meeting Specifics
Door Prizes! - come and win a free book co-authored by the presenter
and much more!
Date - Tuesday, May 21, 2002
Time - Networking begins at 6PM; Dinner at 6:30; Program and Q&A from
7:00PM-8: 15PM.
Location - Best Western Executive Inn, 200 Taylor Avenue North, Seattle
(206)448-9444
Cost - $20 for AWC members; $35 for non-members (dinner and program)
For program only, member cost is $10; non-member cost is $20.
Registration Deadline - If paying by check, we must receive your
payment at our P.O. Box by Thursday, May 16, 2002; credit card - we
must receive payment confirmation by Monday, May 20, 2002.
Directions - http:/www.exec-inn.com/contact_dir.html
Register online at http://www.awcps.org/register.htm or leave
voicemail at (206) 781-7315. Send your check to the address below by
the due date noted above to: AWC/PS, P.O. Box 179, Seattle, WA 98111 or
pay by credit card on our site via PayPal.