[Techtalk] Amanda woes, was: multiple server backup

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Sat May 4 11:39:56 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-05-03 at 08:49, Magni Onsoien wrote:
> Caitlyn Martin:
>
> > I'll be the third to tout amanda.  We used it when I worked at
> > TriNet/Interpath (back in '98) running on Solaris.  We backed up
> > Solaris, BSDi, and even Windows boxes (using samba) and I found it to be
> > reliable and highly configurable.  It's only gotten better since then.
> > The only drawback to using it with Windows clients is that it has no
> > means to backup the registry.  That had to be exported to a file to be
> > backed up, which means we didn't have a backup we could simply pop on to
> > a new drive and boot to.  For pure *nix environments, though, it's
> > excellent.
>
> I am in a "I hate amanda"-phase today. (And yesterday and last week.)
> The problem is that I can't get it to work.
> I run amcheck and it seems to work, i.e. no errors reported.
> Happily I run amdump to actually perform the backup.
> Then I get this error:
>
> These dumps were to tape initio-01.
> The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   miranda    /home lev 0 FAILED [disk /home offline on miranda?]
>   miranda    /usr/local/ftp lev 0 FAILED [disk /usr/local/ftp offline on miranda?]
>   miranda    /usr lev 0 FAILED [disk /usr offline on miranda?]
>   miranda    /var lev 0 FAILED [disk /var offline on miranda?]
>   miranda    / lev 0 FAILED [disk / offline on miranda?]
>
> [ snip stuff about how long it took and how big the backup was. (All of
> it: 0 MB, minuters, hours, % etc. ]
>
> NOTES:
>   planner: Adding new disk miranda:/.
>   planner: Adding new disk miranda:/var.
>   planner: Adding new disk miranda:/usr.
>   planner: Adding new disk miranda:/usr/local/ftp.
>   planner: Adding new disk miranda:/home.
>   driver: WARNING: got empty schedule from planner
>   taper: tape initio-01 kb 0 fm 0 [OK]
>
> [ snip dump summary, which is also zero. ]
>
> I have tried with /dev/hda1 and hda1 (devices and disknames) as disks to
> backup, but with the same result.
>
> I have installed amanda-client, amanda-common and amanda-server
> v.2.4.2p2-4 as deb-packages. The server (which is also the client that I
> want to backup) runs Debian 3.0/Linux 2.4.18.
>
> What I think may be the problem is that amanda is compiled to run as the
> user backup, while I run it as user amanda (since the backup-user was
> used by someone else for something else). The permissions are right,
> though, and I have changed dumpuser to amanda (amcheck complained when I
> tested with another username there, just to see if that was the
> problem). IF this is the problem, i.e. amanda silently denies to work if
> run by another user than the one configured at compile-time, I will say
> it's...eh... not very nice.

It's hard to say without more detailed info. Could you post your amanda
configuration along with the output of amtest? Amanda also needs some
network services running from inetd or xinetd: Could you look up the
"amanda", "amandaidx" and "amidxtape" entries in your /etc/services and
post either the matching lines from /etc/(x)inetd.conf or the relevant
files from /etc/xinetd.d (assuming Debian has that directory)?

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg //
+49.7152.209647
nils at fht-esslingen.de
        Ever noticed that common sense isn't really all that common?