[Techtalk] Re: Linux Versions

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Thu May 2 20:40:30 EST 2002

At 5/2/02 08:08 PM , Caitlyn Martin wrote:
>Hi, Kai, and everyone else,

Hi, Caity...

> > I used to use Red Hat, but am now a Slackware convert. (No more RPM!
> > Yay!)
>
>I like rpm.  A lot.  I realize that's sacrilige to some here, but it
>really makes version tracking easy and saves me time I might otherwise
>spend dinking around with makefiles.

Hey, I won't bash on anyone else for liking RPM. When it's working right
and doing what it should, the thing is a fabulous time-saver and a boon to
sysadmin-kind.

But when you get into dependency hell, it can just make you want to tear
your hair out. Or tear your skull off. I remember when they changed the
format of the RPM files, and I wound up in a ridiculous situation where I
wanted to upgrade some package, but I couldn't without a higher version of
RPM. The newer version of RPM required a higher glibc version, and the new
glibc required the version of RPM that I couldn't install!

In *my personal* experience, I think the thing has caused me more grief
than it's saved me. But if it's saved you more hassles than it's caused
you, then I truly am happy for you, and glad to know that someone's getting
good use out of it.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"The seasons don't fear the reaper,
  Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain.