[Techtalk] ftpd not running, console size issue

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed May 1 20:57:59 EST 2002

Conni writes:
> I can't get the ftpd running on my machines (either of them.)  I have
> wu-ftpd-2.6.1-18 on the one I'm sitting at, and 1-20 on the one upstairs.
[ ... ]

Caitlyn Martin writes:
> As root, to turn on wu-ftpd, type in:
> chkconfig wu-ftpd on

Conni, if that alone doesn't do it -- for example, on my Redhat machine,
it turned on anonymous ftp, but not ftp for specific users -- take a look
at /etc/ftpaccess.  It may have some lines at the top that look like:

deny-uid %-99 %65534-
deny-gid %-99 %65534-

Commenting them out ("#" at the beginning of the line) made ftp
work on my system.  Alternately, for better security, you can change
the lines to deny or allow specific ranges of user/group id.

Redhat seems to turn everything off by default (for security, I guess)
-- every time I upgrade Redhat, I have to spend a while poking around
figuring out the new incantations to turn net services back on.

> Now the other problem: console size issue.  I got a VAIO SR-77, and it's
> only doing the console screen at about half size.  X does full screen, but
> not console.  it's somewhat irritating, even if I normally use X.

Congratulations on the new Vaio!

I got the answer for that about a month ago on this very group.  Edit
/etc/lilo.conf, and make another copy of the section for your redhat
kernel (probably starting with "image=" and ending with "root=").
Give it a different label, label=test, or linuxxga, or something.
Then put this line into the new section:

vga=773

Then run lilo, reboot and select your new test image, and it should
boot in 1024x768.  At least, it works on my SR17.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me with other kernels, only with
the stock Redhat one.  With a kernel I build myself, when I try to
boot with vga=773, the screen just goes blank and stays that way.

Anyone know where that magic number "773" comes from, and how I can get
my custom-built kernels booting at higher resolutions?  I've tried
building in framebuffer support and "Video mode selection support"
but they don't seem to help.

	...Akkana