[Techtalk] `TO:' header alias rewrite - Sendmail

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Sat Mar 30 18:08:50 EST 2002

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 10:57:03AM -0800, Kai MacTane wrote:
> At 3/29/02 05:00 PM , Nosferatu!!! wrote:
>
> >Say I have the following alias definition in /etc/aliases -
> >ruby:           rubidium at hotmail.com
> >
> >Now, sendmail expands the "ruby" to the proper address in "RCPT TO:",
> >but, the "To:" header in the message still reads "To: ruby".
> >
> >Its not a big deal for me except that "ruby" has Hotmail filtering
> >on that rejects messages whose "To:" header does not read as
> >"To: rubidium at hotmail.com"
>
> I don't know a whole lot about Sendmail. My only suggestion is: you could
> redirect the alias to a program that does the header rewriting and then
> re-sends the mail to the destination. So in /etc/alias:

formail is good for that. It's what I call to do header rewriting in
Procmail.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net
Lead Developer                             http://www.linuxdoc.org

How often it is that the angry man rages denial of what his inner self is
telling him.
	-- "The Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan