[Techtalk] command aliasing

ccr1 ccr1 at quickclic.net
Sat Mar 30 02:01:09 EST 2002

Hi everyone,  I'm in need of a little nudge int he right direction...

Currently,  when I compile something, I need to issue the following
command;

g++ inputfilename -o /home/lyric340/bin/application

what I was hoping to do was to alias this command with a variable for
inputfilename that would allow me to do this;

compile inputfilename

The 'compile' portion would be the command I want to use.

The output file that I use is always the same, so that never needs to
change.  The only thing that changes is the inputfilename variable.

If this is possible through alias, please let me know.  If not, I could
use a few ideas that would allow me to someone set this up.

Thanks in advance,

humbly,
Lyric