[Techtalk] Re: Setting up mailserver..

Alinda alinda.linux at gmx.net
Wed Mar 27 15:42:47 EST 2002

Hello Mary,

According to the scribes Mary wrote about '[Techtalk] Setting up
mailserver..' on the 27 March 2002:

M> On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 07:03:50AM +0100, Alinda wrote:
>> Hello techtalk,
>>
>> I have a question, I run a mail-server on the server of our home LAN
>> (with 3 very active users who receive loads of mail, and own two
>> domain names, have an ADSL connection with a fixed IP. Now I have been
>> wondering if you could set it up so I don't need intermediair pop
>> accounts for collecting mail to keep the mail separated, that isn't
>> addressed by name (ie mailing lists and bcc's), to the various user
>> accounts.

M> I take it you are looking for something along the lines of:
M>  * someone addresses mail is addressed to housemate at example.com their
M>    machine, or ISP connects straight to your machine on the static
M>    IP.
M>  * your machine then 'knows' who it is for and delivers it straight to
M>    them.

 <snip> <snip>

Thank you for your answer, but this is not what I was wondering, or I
didn't understand it right. I originally had the setup you mentioned
about 2 years ago, when I first setup my mailserver. And as I thought I
mentioned I had no problem receiving mail addressed to for ex:
kat at xenaica.net, jill at xenaica.net or sandra at xenaica.net. The problem
a-group at linuxchix.org and group at groups.queernet.org, and Jill wants to
subscribe to several other-group at yahoogroups.com and maybe to
same-group at linuxchix.org and another-group at groups.queernet.org and the
same for Sandra. And all receive every now and then mail that is bcc'ed
to them. In all these cases the mail-server just can't find the address
it is supposed to be delivered to.

So my current work-around is that I let kat at xenaica.net be sent to
somebox at gmx.net, Jill at xenaica.net be sent to somebox at myrealbox.com and
Sandra at xenaica.net to somebox at subdimension.com. The mail-server now
collects from somebox at gmx.net for Kat, from sombox at myrealbox.com for
Jill, and from somebox at subdimension.com for Sandra, and collects from
the ISP and from the domain hoster, all additional email trying to find
some reference to one of us according to sorting rules and if all of
them fail it sends them to every mail account on my mail-server.

So my real question is, how do you get the mail-server configured in
such a way that like ISP mailboxes, they can distinguish where the
mailing lists and the bcc'ed mails need to go. Properly adressed mail is
no problem at all.

--
Best regards,
               Alinda

Phoebe: Oh no. We've got to stop the insanity.
~~ Charmed