[Techtalk] Re: RH 7.2 on a 486 with 20MB of RAM

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Mar 23 21:50:55 EST 2002

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 02:54:04PM -0500 or thereabouts, Caitlyn Martin wrote:
> Hi, Telsa,
> >
> > I believe Alan has RH 7.2 on a 20Mb 486 (given the amount of memory
> > the installer likes, I am not quite sure how, mind you) and that ext3
> > is quite happy.
>
> Would you mind asking him how?  My most ancient laptop (palmtop?) is a
> Toshiba Libretto 20CTA (circa 1996) with a 75MHz 486 processor and 16MB
> of RAM.  I would really like to upgrade it, and was going to use Vector
> Linux (2.4.3 kernel) and the just upgrade and patch the heck out of it
> to make it secure.  RH 7.2 would be much easier, especially as I have
> the errata burned to CD already.  (We're still in the primitive world of
> dial-up connections at home, so downloading errata is a pain.)
>
> I know well enough how to strip RH 7.2 down for low resource machines.
> That isn't hard, but the installer does want 32MB of RAM.  Of course, he
> could have hacked the installer, right?  I do remember *who* Alan is :)

I think he's done that in the past. I had thought that is what he'd
done this time. But no.

  "I installed it onto another system. Then I copied the lot over
  to the PC110 and fixed up lilo."

He added that he thinks it would be simpler to install Debian,
whose installer will fit, than to hack either the standard RH installer
or the S390 installer.

Telsa