[Techtalk] nfs question

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Mon Mar 18 12:43:42 EST 2002

Heya --

	Thanks for all the information about your problem -- it makes it
a lot easier to figure out what's going on.

Quoth Phil Savoie (Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 11:11:25PM -0500):
> mount reports that /goodstuff from server is mounted to /somedir
>
> I try to touch a file from the client to the mounted resource:
>
> touch somefile /somedir
>
> and I get permission denied.

	Who are you running the touch command as?  Is all this done as
root?  Who owns /goodstuff on the remote computer?  If the user on the
local computer isn't a user that has permissions to create a file in
/goodstuff on the remote computer, you'll see an error like this.

	Could you give me a ls -al on /goodstuff and /somedir, and what
user you're using and the groups they belong to on the local computer?

> What am I missing?  The two hosts can ping one another so the entries for
> each other in the /etc/hosts table is correct.

	I don't think it's a network problem at all; I bet it's
mismatched permissions.

Cheers,
Raven

"Sed, sed, awk.  Like duck, duck, goose.  Sync, sync, halt.  It's the
 order of nature."
  -- me, after too long a day at work