[Techtalk] More Squid

James james at james-web.net
Sun Mar 17 10:56:14 EST 2002

Another day with Squid, same issues.

I turned debugging to the highest, but still was not able to find
anything that hinted to my problem.

Recap: Squid will work, but then will randomly sort of "timeout" after a
random number of minutes.  Several minutes after that, it will start to
work again, automagically.  IE will get the generic DNS error and Opera
on Linux will report something like "Proxy access denied."

I was using the .deb from Debian testing so I figured, lets compile
Squid from source.  Compiled, installed.  Works great at first, but then
the evil ugly issue rears its head again.

Googles have been fruitless so far, but I'm not 100% sure what to search
for, since the problem isn't well defined.  Sounds like something off my
last psych103 test...

Problem could be:

1.  Something in my squid.conf.  I basically have everything to its
defaults.  My acl is very open, it is set to basically let my entire
private network through (10.75.0.0/255.255.0.0).  Could it be something
in my settings for timeouts in squid.conf?

2.  Something in Squid's code.  I'm utterly not sure of this.  This is
actually probably least likely.

3.  Something in Linux.  I'm still running the 2.2.19 kernel.  Perhaps
upgrading to 2.4.18 might help (Laughs and giggles, you know...)?

- James