[Techtalk] RE: [Newchix] W2k NTFS and RHL 7.0

Samantha Blackmon samanthablackmon at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 16 14:43:59 EST 2002

On Saturday 16 March 2002 05:51 am, a magikal owl from Conor Daly delivered
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 02:37:07PM -0600 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
>
> Gretchen Tollefson thought:
> >    Being very new to this myself, I don't have all the answers.  However,
> >    it is possible to dual NTFS and ext2, I'm running Mandrake 8.1 and
> >    Windows XP.  All I did was install Mandrake (to partition and
> >    practice), then installed Windows, then reinstalled Mandrake.  On the
> >    second install, I had LILO install to the MBR and that took care of
> >    Windows wanting to take over the bootloader.  I'm not sure if Windows
> >    2000 will take over again, I've heard of that happening, but it
> >    doesn't with XP.
> >

> >    Anyway, that's how I took care of it.
> >
> >    Gretchen
>
> Did you need to reactivate XP?  My boss has a new XP machine (100Gb in a
> single NTFS partition) and wnats to install RH.  Only way I can think of
> is to nuke the existing partition, make new smaller ones and do the
> install but I'm afraid WinXP will demand a reactivation because of the
> smaller disk.  Of course, my advice ot boss would be to dump WinXP
> entirely and install Win98 if he *must* have windows at all.
>
> Conor
I had a 80GB XP hard drive and rather than nuking the NTFS partition I used
Partition Magic to create new Linux and swap partitions without damaging the
info on the XP partition. I would however also recommend 98 over XP which is
extremely buggy!

Samantha