[Techtalk] Windows-like Linux

Wendy Galovich wendy at scottishmusician.com
Sat Mar 16 06:13:34 EST 2002

On Saturday 16 March 2002 09:00, WolfRyder wrote:
> Melanie,
>
> An alternative is to download Eudora (free with ads) or pay for a copy of
> Eudora Pro. I've used it for years with no problem.
> http://www.eudora.com/

I'll second that. When I have to use a Windows machine, Eudora is my
hands-down favorite - it's simple yet one of the most configurable Windows
mail clients I've come across.

One undocumented "feature" I found is that with Eudora it's ridiculously easy
to set up multiple users each with their own copy of the client, on the same
machine. We did that for my parents and niece, who share a Windows 98
machine, and specifically did not want to have to use separate user logins
for their respective spaces. So we set the machine up with the OS on C:, and
separate partitions for each of them. I installed Eudora first on my mom's
partition, then copied The Eudora directory to my dad's and niece's,
partitions and created a desktop link to each of the copies of the Eudora
executable. That way each copy is configured for the individual using it, and
they don't have to sift through each other's mail to get to their own. The
funny thing is that it never dawned on me until after I'd been using Linux
for the first few months, that what I'd actually done was to mimic some
characteristics of user space on a Linux machine, on a Windows box. :-)

If you're using Eudora Pro, I couldn't say what the licensing implications of
this setup might be, however. I think the Eudora Pro license does specify
either one machine only, or one user with the allowance for one desktop and
one laptop. It doesn't say anything about multiple copies on one machine. Of
course if you're using Eudora Lite or the free version with ads, that should
be a non-issue.

Wendy

P.S. For me, the best part of setting them up with Eudora is not having to
receive hmtl mail anymore. :-)