[Techtalk] RSA Securid token wierdness

stephanie1200 at netscape.net stephanie1200 at netscape.net
Mon Mar 11 13:22:13 EST 2002

Am I radioactive? maybe marked by the devil?  We use securid tokens to log into the work vpn.  I had one for like 9 months before it croaked, and since then I've had like 5 or 6, (I'm starting to lose count) the longest life being like 4 months I think, and the shortest life being less than 1 day.  Lately, they are lasting about a week on average.  I'm trying to find documentation on environmental elements that can damage them... There was one box of them that died for everyone, but I've now had 2 from other batches, one newer and one older, that have also died.  Has anyone else had this problem?  My environment is pretty normal, I don't work in a nuclear power plant or anything.  I keep it on my keychain and I don't drop the thing a lot or take it in the bathtub or give it to my cats to play with or use it to test principles of physics or anything. Maybe someone has planted a bugging device i my car that is clearing the chip? (ok, a little paranoid, but I do hear mysterious beeps not attributable to any electronic device I own, once every 2 years or so in my car) I am not aware of any mysterious magnetic forces emanating from my body....  Unless my growing annoyance is having some physicial manifestation.

Any advice or urban legends about failing tokens, please let me know. Thanks!