[Techtalk] Dualboot Linux & Solaris?

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sun Mar 10 17:40:29 EST 2002

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 06:43:39AM -0800 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Hans Tegnerud thought:
> Does anyone have any experience dualbooting Linux &
> Solaris?

No.

> I'm trying to install Solaris 8 on my Intel machine
> giving it a 90MB X86 Boot partition and a 4GB Solaris
> partition (leaving about 5GB for Linux). The problem
> seems to be me not knowing how to configure Solaris
> swap space... I keep getting the error message:
> "WARNING: /tmp: File system full, swap space limit
> exceeded". Anyone have any clues? It seems I get the
> error regardless of where I put the swap slice.

Solaris uses swap space for the /tmp filesystem so /tmp and virtual memory
share the same block.  I've no idea how you go about configuring how it
gets shared out though.  AFAICT, swap takes priority over /tmp.

> The reason I'm installing Solaris first and Linux
> second (instead of the opposite as described in the
> Linux+Solaris HOWTO) is that I figure I have to place
> my linux swap partition as a logical partition instead
> of a primary to lessen the confusion for Solaris.

There's an interesting doc out there somewhere about using the same swap
space for different OS's (can't remember where it is just now but it
involves using mkswap and swapon on the same partition early in the boot
process for each OS.

> (I'm very new to Solaris)

Me too. :-)

Conor