[Techtalk] Programming languages for women

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Sun Mar 3 23:55:03 EST 2002

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 09:21:10PM -0500, James wrote:
> I find SQL procedural, as I can think about it and contain the idea of
> what I'm doing into something rational that I can feel.  I can feel that
> I have a distinct question "SELECT * FROM blah where...." and can get a
> response and then do something with it (I typically use it with PHP).
>
> On very, very large projects, especially with a lot of oo, functions,
> etc, I feel like it is beyond me in scope.

The key is good organization of your code. If you organize your
procedures and functions as methods of objects, you can forget about
that code when you write the gui. Proper encapsulation and logical
organization are what matter most, breaking the complex problems down
into a set of simple problems. Nobody can handle the complexity of a
large scale project.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net

When people understand what Microsoft is up to, they're outraged.
	--Tim O'Reilly, O'Reilly & Associates