[Techtalk] dialup while traveling

Davis, Jennifer JDavis at JUSTICE.GC.CA
Thu Jun 20 10:31:19 EST 2002

I know it has been two years since I worked for a PSI subsidiary (through a
subcontractor) so things may have changed.  Though most of the International
ISPs offer similar pricing.  They usually also have introductory pricing
that you could take advantage of.  I'm sure if you signed up for a month, it
would be far less expensive than using your DSL providers roaming tools.

I remember that the ISPs we supported had access to all North American POPs
and the roaming was included in the cost of the connection.  There was an
800 number that customers could use, but there was an additional charge of
$0.10/min.

It seemed to be an ok deal, the only problem that clients encountered was
that they had to call back to us to get the names of SMTP servers when they
crossed over into the US and within areas of the US (though we had one
server that was essentially an open relay).  If you have a server on your
DSL connection, you can probably just route through it (I guess that would
mean opening up your server as an open-relay and cloing it when you're
done).

Another option you could use is NetZero, again if that still exists.  I
realise that with linux you can't use their dialup program, but basically
all that that program does is scramble up the data in a regular DUN
connection.  If you look on the net, you can probably find ways to make your
linux machine work by getting a piece of software that unscrambles the code,
although that may violate terms of service.

Have fun on the trip.

Jenn