[Techtalk] Semi OT: software patents, copyrights, copylefts

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Thu Jun 20 23:36:58 EST 2002

> i'd be interested in finding out more about this ... i'm currently writing a
> book on copyrights/lefts and the evils of software patenting....
> see www.copyleftmedia.org.uk
>
> bw
> miriam

I wrote an article about region-blocking, that includes the historical
context (or a rough version thereof).

http://www.anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/nonfiction/copyright.html

I strongly suspect that the historical perspective and context is very
on-topic for your book - if you aren't already including it, would you
mind reading my article & seeing if you want to add that perspective?

The article ALSO covers the fact that any regional 'rights' a publisher
has is part of a contract between the producer of the art and the
publisher - and that the consumer has NOT consented to the contract.
Which I consider a critical point.

Anyway.. if I continue I'll be reproducing the article. :) Go read, and
then decide whether I have a point you want to also make in the book. :)

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/