[Techtalk] Config DSL for RH

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sun Jun 16 21:51:04 EST 2002

Oh well then, your router needs to provide DHCP to your internal network. It
shouldn't matter if you have a static or dynamically assigned IP on your DSL
account. As the Netgear router has only a single port, you'll need a hub to
connect all your computers. Really, DHCP is dead simple on the client side-
simply turn it on. All the configuration is done on the Netgear router, which
hopefully has a browser interface, and not some OS-specific nonsense.

You can also give your LAN machines static IPs, but that is a bit more work.
Either way, see your Official Red Hat Linux Customization Guide, it has a
very good networking guide. I hope your router has a decent manual.

Part 1 is sharing your Internet connection. Part 2 is networking your
machines with each other, if you want to do that. That's a whole nother
project, again refer to the Red Hat manuals. They are available online.

Carla