[Techtalk] LOST in Kernel space

Jeannette jcv at hise.org
Mon Jun 10 14:35:08 EST 2002

Hi Andrew!
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Andrew wrote:

> James and All,
>
> It is at "no.7" (see below)that I got lost.  What I need is a method
> to check if the system.map is the new one. Also I need some help

ls -l in the directory the file is in (/boot in your case) will give you
creation/modification time of your file. The one with today's date is your
new one.

> finding a method/command to change the name so I know in the near
> future which Kernel it is. Mainly if it causes a problem.

What about the kernel do you want to rename? If you edit
/usr/src/linux/Makefile you can change the kernel version your kernel
reports. The best thing to do here is add something meaningful on the
"EXTRAVERSION"  line (i.e., you shouldn't rename your kernel from 2.4.18
to 2.4.19).

I add meaningful extensions to my System.map and vmlinuz files to keep
them straight (Ex. vmlinuz-2.4.18-2, or System.map-jcv).
You can rename any file using "mv oldfilename newfilename".

Or, when you get to the point of editing lilo.conf to add your new kernel,
you can name it anything you want in the "label=" line, so that you know
which kernel you are booting.

> 	I believe the new kernel is now named the same as the old ex.
> 2.3. There must be a command to fix that, my thoughts are blocked at
> this moment.

Since I don't know what about the kernel you are saying is named the same
as the old, I don't want to start babbling here and confuse you. Does my
previous paragraph help you narrow down what you are reporting? There may
also be other files/situations that I missed that are causing you stress,
so just be a little more specific.

> 	**I really need to know...
> 	What would happen if I simply started at the beginning all over again?
> The 2.4.18tar.gz still exists in the usr/src. Would it create more
> mess or simply over write the mis-named files?**

In your case, I would move the current linux directory (mv linux
linux-messed-up) and then unzip your kernel source again (tar xvfz
linux-2.4.18.tar.gz). You can then start at the beginning of the kernel
building instructions again. Do you know what went wrong last time so that
you can fix it? Or are you just experimenting?

> 	I am new enough to Linux to have read the books but just
> beginning to actually change things.
Good for you! Congratulations.

> Other people must have been in
> my shoes one time or another.

Defintitely. That is why we hang out on friendly linux mailing lists.

> As a former Mac only user, the GUI on
> this old machine (p150 Mndrk-8.0) has not worked for me.

Funny. I never understood Macs ....

> Thanks Again,
> Andrew

Good luck! Post back if you have any problems or I confused you.

Jeannette