[Techtalk] LOST

James james at james-web.net
Sun Jun 9 21:57:31 EST 2002

This is how I compile a kernel, typically.

1:
Download latest Linux source to /usr/src/

2:
tar -zxvf linux-2.4.xxxx.tar.gz

3:
Cd into linux (you should be in /usr/src/linux/)

4:
Run "make menuconfig" and configure as you need.

5:
Save and Exit.

6:
Type:
"make dep"
"make bzImage"
"make modules"
"make modules_install"

7:
When that finishes:
"cp System.map /boot/"
"mv /boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage.old"
"cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/"

8:
Configure lilo.conf as needed and type "lilo" when done.

9:
Reboot.

- James